What to do when you run out of money
There is an assumption made here that – if at all possible - you will or have contacted family and friends to ask for support and help.
Contact County Social Services to determine if you are eligible for food support, general assistance, health care and housing services.
Assistance will be provided for filling out forms and determining eligibility
Wikipedia Find a list of the counties in Minnesota.
If you are not eligible for County services:
- Make Sure You Have Food
- Take Care of Your Health
Federal Law requires that if you request or a request is made on your behalf, all emergency rooms must treat you.
- Secure Housing
- Foreclosure Prevention
- Utility Assistance
- Stay Warm Minnesota Works to ensure that every Minnesota family experiences a safe and comfortable winter without having their home heating bills overtake the entire family budget.
- Consider renting to a roommate
- Where to find a shelter
- If you can’t afford to pay for your phone anymore…
- Get Legal Assistance if You Need It
- Legal Assistance
- Legal Services Corporation Provides free or low cost legal advice or representation of low income individuals or families in Minnesota.
- Look For Other Support Services
- United Way Twin Cities Call Center [2-1-1] 651-291-0211
Trained information specialists and volunteers that connect users to community resources.
- MinnesotaHelp.info An online directory of services designed to help people in Minnesota find human services, information and referral, financial assistance, and other forms of help.
- Other Miscellaneous Efforts
- Sell some of your possessions
- Pawn Shops
- Sell your plasma
- Barter for services
- Continue Looking for Employment and Training and Education Resources
- Employment and Training Resources
- Take Care of Yourself Mentally, Emotionally and Spiritually
- Mental and emotional health should be part of a planned regime that might include joining support groups, walking, reaching out to friends and family, and having a daily routine that is structured, but allows for some fun. Churches, synagogues, and other faith-based organizations offer guidance, support, and hope through fellowship and prayer services.